Should I change my name after a Divorce

Divorce can be a long process that may drain your energy and leave you feeling out of control. No matter what has occurred in your past, your future always offers a fresh start. Now, more than ever, you have the chance to build the life you’ve always wanted.

The first step in creating your new life is to find out what you want. Then take the steps you need to have your dreams become reality. If you’re ready to create a new life after divorce getting your name back may be just the action necessary to kick-start the new you.

Changing your name after a divorce is a very personal decision and a complicated process, which tends to raise a large number of questions. Before you begin your name-change, it may be beneficial for you to read through some of the most frequently asked questions below.

Do I have to change my name after the divorce?

There are no requirements for you to change your name after your divorce. Resuming your former name marks a return to your former self, and for many women, it represents a positive step towards their new life.

How do I make sure I can change my name after the divorce?

Be sure to request that the judge presiding over your divorce makes a formal order restoring your former or birth name. If your divorce decree contains a name-change order it will serve as legal proof of your intended name change when you file your state and government forms.

What if my divorce decree does NOT have an order that restores my name?
You should be able to modify your divorce decree to include a name-change order. It is easiest to contact the court clerk that issued your divorce decree to request a modification.

What do I need to do to change my name?

You will need to complete and file name-change forms for Social Security, IRS 8822, United States Passport, United States Postal Service, and your state driver’s license. After filing those forms you will need to call or submit letters to all of your creditors such as banks, credit cards, physicians, insurances, ect.

How do I know when I’ve gotten my name back?
Once you’ve filed all of your state & U.S. government name-change forms and notified all of your creditors of your new name, your name-change is almost complete. You will know that your name is legally changed when you receive your new Social Security card, Driver’s license, and U.S. passport with your new name on them.

For further information or to get started please contact us 1-800-524-6801 or